A special device highly optimized and functional for just video gaming is called a gaming controller. We use it for gaming just like a keyboard, mouse and trackballs which comes optimized. There are different types of gaming controllers for PCs as some can easily fit on the desk, desktops or in hands. They are also called grab, twist and squeeze and come with joysticks, steering wheels, gun, pistol or foot pedals etc.
Some gaming controllers are good for some games but unsuitable for others. For instance Gun gaming controllers would be fine for FPS (First Person Shooter) games but unsuitable for an automobile racing game. So the pro gamers keep many gaming controllers or choose one which let them play games of their choosing.
Choosing Gaming Controllers For PC
It’s hard to choose a controller for gaming, since we have to take into account many things. How good should be a controller that meets all our requirements. So despite choosing a controller on recommendation of someone it’s better to make an educated choice and choose a gamepad or controller which suits our needs for general video gaming, streaming or even online contests.
Nowadays, choosing a game controller has become a herculean task since so much is already available on the market which is good. So we need to find out which one is even better. See below what to consider for choosing the right controller.
Know your gaming choices. You should consider the games you would like to play like Gears of War, God Of War, Minecraft, Fortnite and Forza etc. PS5 and PS4 are great for Uncharted but the same could not be said for Halo or Gears of War as Xbox Series X, One and S are better for such games. So having the type of games you’d like to play listed is better before choosing a gamepad.
It’s worth noting that the PS4 offers many more independent games compared with the Xbox One’s library, so if that’s a sticking point PS4 will have you covered. Xbox One isn’t totally devoid of indie titles, it’s just not as fleshed out at the moment.
Search On Social Media Which Controllers are popular gamers like Ninja, SyperPK, Ghost Issa or Scoped are using. These guys play so much that they nearly check on every other controller. There are many reviewers which make analysis of pros and cons of different gaming controls.
The backward compatibility for Xbox Series S, X, One and 360 is free. You can enjoy original Xbox games with their true colors. While PlayStation Now is accessible on all the PS5 and PS5 which also lets you stream games in their original true colors.
Many Xbox fans turn around to PlayStation after many years or vice versa. There are different reasons for that. There are different reasons for that. We have discussed few below:
- Multiplatform Gaming- Many gamers find it hard to enjoy multiplatform games on PS or Xbox. Some find issues on Xbox consoles while others on PS while playing multiplatform games.
- Game Installation- Find out which gaming console takes more time to install a single game. For example most of the games take less time for installation on PlayStations than Xboxes
- Footage- Footage is also important not just the quality of it but capturing it. Since we need to capture footage a lot for sharing etc or just the screenshots. Again, PlayStations are more easy to capture footage or screenshots as compared to Xboxes. Although since the release of Xbox S and X, Microsoft has made the dashboard more user friendly which was not the case with its previous outings.
- You will find Xbox more supportive for streaming media as compared to PlayStations
- Streaming services like HBO, Netflix and others are available on both
Type of a gaming controllers
- Joystick- Most popular gaming controllers over the years are joysticks. They still dominate the gaming scene. You can use a joystick for combat games and simulators etc.
- Steering Wheel – Many steering wheels have foot pedals as well. They are suitable for driving, flight simulators and racing games
- Gamepad – For adventure and action games, sports tons of other arcade style games –gamepads are ideal.
You will find a line going through the center of the joystick for movement and directions. The controllers are designed to make it easy for users to move in different directions. Every controller comes with two types of axes -x and y. X axis is used for sideways while the Y for front and backwards. Some advanced controllers come with z-axis or a throttle for up/down movements. There are also others like a rudder and twist controls.
A throttle is an important aspect which is available on joysticks and gamepads. There are so many different actions that you can perform with a throttle like speed control, slide or pull the trigger etc.
Response And Tracking
There are two ways to track motion on the axis. Joysticks are good for partial response because they are easily controlled for small movements. Gamepads are great for tracking and moving on all axes in full motion. The response is much faster on these. However, choosing a programmable controller is better which allows you to perform well on both modes.
Always check the number of buttons on a controller. You can use them in different actions.
A joystick has a switch on its top which is called a Hat Switch. It’s also called POV Hat or just Hat as it sits on the top of a joystick which you can play around with your thumb easily. It can move four ways but some offer even movement to eight ways. It’s necessary to see how many ways and functions a Hat of the joystick offers.
Gaming controllers of today are more advanced than they were in the 2000s. Now they come with force feedback that increases the amount of ambience in games with great support. The software under them is designed to provide that.
Many controllers come with Directinput features which are compatible with Windows drivers for use. You can program them according to your needs. However, there’s one shortcoming to it. They just come with few instructable functions while some comes with already installed software for much greater functionality.
You can program buttons with different functions. So they perform more actions and similar functions in games.
Today’s controllers are very diverse and come with all the necessary features. So preferring controls with different profile storing capabilities is more desirable as different games are played on different configurations. Controller settings better known as macros or profiles can be saved so that you don’t have to reprogram them next time. However, popular controllers come with already defined configurations for very popular games.
Check Out Our Picks For Best Gaming Controllers For PCs Based On Ergonomics, Functionality, Suitability, Performance, Durability and Price
Microsoft’s Wireless Video Gaming Controller For Xbox – The Best PC Controller
This Xbox controller is impressively manufactured and very ergonomic. Microsoft keeps improving and renewing it over the course of time to not only be compatible with Xbox series new products but other consoles and operation systems too. Technically, this one is the best controller for any of your gaming setup. Some of its features and specs are mentioned below:
- Fully functional
- Extended wireless range compared to other wireless controllers
- Great precision control
- Highly compatible with all the consoles, Windows and operating systems
- Replaceable within 90 days
- Customizable buttons
Logitech F310 Gamepad
Logitech is a very popular brand when it comes to gaming accessories–especially mice and keyboards. But once you use this controller Logitech F310 you would realize its potential in this field. Generally, Logitech products are not just reliable and durable but come in competitively lesser prices. Check out some of its specs and features below:
- PS like buttons
- Symmetrical bottom-aligned controls
- Simple menu
- 2 AA batteries required
- Compatible with PCs and consoles
- Very affordable
PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller
- Wireless controller
- Haptic feedback
- Dynamic vibrations
- Adaptable triggers
- Built-in headset jack and microphone – Ideal for streaming
- Easy screen capture
- Mute button
DreamController Original Playstation 5 Wireless Controller
No products found.
No products found.
For great gaming experience in real environ DreamController is there solely for PS5 with remote control and custom controls. You can enjoy seamless gaming and great action with this controller. Some of its features are mentioned below:
- Intuitive motion controls
- Built-in accelerometer and gyroscope
- Remote control
- Dynamic adaptive triggers
- Comes with a built-in microphone
- Haptic feedback
- USB-C cable
Atari Arcade Fightstick USB Dual Joystick
For arcade type of games this dual joystick is all as it’s compatible for controls with PC, Mac and all the popular consoles. It’s a bit classic but still very relevant. Do not forget to check its specs before buying. We have mentioned some of its features below:
- Best emulator for all type of arcade games
- Sturdy large-spaced buttons
- 8-directional controls and movements
- Arm and wrist support
- Compatibility. Works with PC Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, Raspberry Pi, PlayStation, Xbox
DualShock 4 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 4 – Gold
If you want great precision, controllers and quick responsive, then DualShock 4 controller can truly be your weapon. Suitable for PS4 and PS5. Some of its takeaways are mentioned below:
- Enhanced analog sticks
- Revolutionary Touchpad
- Integrated light bar
- Built-in speaker
- Easy sharing
- 1 Lithium ion batteries required
- Compatible with PS4, PS5, PC
8BitDo SN30 Pro
8BitDo SN30 Pro is simply the one ring to rule them all. Its inspiration was taken from Nintendo. It’s exclusively featured and comes with all the necessary predefined elements. It has a classic design and 4 shoulder button designs.
- Smooth Clickable Joystick
- Custom Keys
- Compatibility with Nintendo Switch, Steam, Windows, macOS, & Android
- Rumble vibration
- Regular Firmware updating
- Very Response, Tracking and Motion Control
- Wireless Bluetooth
- Buttons for screen capture
- USB-C connectivity
- Highly suitable for any console or PC
Can I Use My Console Controllers On My PC?
If you own PS4, 5 or any Xbox or Switch Pro that means you have a gamepad already which can be used on a PC. All these controllers are compatible with your PC. However, you would need an accessorial software or adapter for Nintendo and Sony.
Are Third-Party PC Controllers Good?
If your pocket affords to spend about $70, third-party gamepads will get you a great choice and options. You can choose a wireless/wired controller in the affordable price ranges. The price depends on the design, features, functions and customization.
What Controllers Do Fortnite Streamers Use?
- Ghost Aydan – PS4 Dual Shock 4 Gold
- Nickmercs – Scuf Infinity 4PS Pro
- Ghost Issa – Dual Shock 4 Night Blue
- Faze Sway – Dual Shock 4 (BO3 Edition)
- Ghost Kamo – Clayster Scuf Impact
- Ghost EX – DualShock 4 (Crystal)
- Jarvis – Xbox One Elite (White)
- Wolfiez – Xbox Elite (Black)
- Scoped – Scuf Impact ( White)
- Sway – Dual Shock 4 (Berry Blue)
- Unknown – Xbox Elite (Black)
- Breso – Scuf Impact (White)
Is PC gaming better with a controller?
Controllers would always hold a superior place to mouse and keyboards. As most of the games including racing, action adventure and FPS would be more enjoyable and realistic with a controller.
Can I use a PS5 controller for PC gaming?
If you have a PS5 DualSense controller and you want to use it on your PC, yes you can. It could be wired or wirelessly connected if your PC supports Bluetooth or a USB-C or USB-A series cable you can use your controller on Windows.
Do all PC games support controllers?
Yes, most of them or at least those games which are available on consoles would support controllers. However, some exclusive for PC games can also be played with controllers with a few tweaks.
Which controller is better PS4’s or PS5’s?
With the release of PS5 we come to know about DualSense as well. Although DualShock 4 is a good controller, DualSense has a significant sway over its predecessor for its grip and wireless control.
Does the PS5 controller come with a built-in mic?
The PS5 controller is a highly impressive console controller and has a set of special features with a built-in mic. So you can use it while streaming to chat with other friends and community.
Do all PC gamers use controllers for video games?
Generally we can use keyboards and mouse for most games on PC. But for hac’n’slash likes of DmC, Darksiders II we need controllers. That’s why Pro streamers and gamers use controllers for PCs.
Today’s Best Selling Gaming Controllers Are Listed Below
- Ergonomic video game controller with standard button layout including new share button
- Wired Controller features dual rumble motors and mappable advanced gaming Buttons
- Diamond-texture grip on back and metallic d-pad on front
- Thousands of Color combinations with hundreds of vivid colors and three distinct Spectra zones plus two LED modes: select either “breathing” or “solid” modes
- Advanced gaming Buttons: two mappable Buttons on back plus 3-way trigger Locks for super-precise throws
- Immersive dual rumble motors plus New share button and volume dial with one-touch mic mute
- 🎮【Universal Compatibility】EasySMX 9110 Wireless Game Controller supports PS3, PC, Android phones and tablets, and it is compatible with Windows XP/ 7/8/10 and...
- 🎮【Wireless Connectivity】10m(32.8ft) connectivity range covers the living room and bedroom. No wires, no mess, no hassle. Just wirelessly connect to your device and...
- 🎮【Dual Vibration Feedback】Asymmetrical linear motor put you in the center of the action, giving you immersive gaming experience with multi magnitude of vibration...
- One of the best Xbox controllers money can buy. Gives you a noticeable advantage in competitive play. - Windows Central, Oct. 2021
- Power by Razer Chroma RGB: Enjoy greater immersion and customize with 16.8 million colors and lighting effects via the Razer Controller Setup for Xbox app
- 6 Additional Remappable Buttons: Unleash greater control and a more personalized play style with 4 extra triggers and 2 remappable bumpers that can be customized via the...
- 🎮【Wide Compatibility】EasySMX Wired Game Controller works with Windows, Vista, TV box, PS3, Tesla and Android 4.0 or above with OTG function. 🍀Not support Xbox...
- 🎮【Plug & Play】You can start playing right after getting the Gamepad to your hands. The USB cable extends 2 meters long (6.5 feet) and you can play sitting a bit...
- 🎮【Dual vibrators】Gaming Controller Vibrating motors are embedded in the side grips and deliver distinct feedback during the game, enhancing the immersion and...
- 【2.4GHz Wireless Technology】: This fantastic, reliable wireless technology has a long transmission distance. It has comparatively much better frequency than ISM...
- 【Wide Compatibility】: The game controller is compatible with - Windows (Xinput and Dinput), PS3, Switch. It is not compatible with - Xbox 360, Xbox One, Mac, iOS,...
- 【M Buttons】: The presence of M buttons makes you a master manipulator. You can edit any complex operation as an M button. Combination keys are (A, B, X, Y, LB, RB,...
- WIRED COMPATIBILITY - Officially licensed by Microsoft for Xbox Series X|S, One Windows 10 PC Laptop Gaming Rig Computer or Steam via USB.
- CUSTOMIZABLE ERGONOMIC CONTROLLER - Use the free PDP Control Hub App to remap gamepad Buttons, reconfigure triggers, Dual Rumble Motors and dedicated Share Button....
- WIRED HEADSET READY - Communicate with your team using the 3.5mm audio jack and adjust volume on-the-fly with the audio controls located on the d-pad. Works with your...
- 【Wide Compatibility】VOYEE wired 360 controller compatible with Microsoft Xbox 360 & Slim/ PC (Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8/7). Just plug and play, not for FPS games.
- 【Enhanced Game Controller】Upgraded PC 360 controller with new left and right trigger buttons and more sensitive joysticks and buttons - Respond quickly to player...
- 【Astonishing Gaming Experience】VOYEE wired pc controller provides rumble control and according to the game automatic vibration feedback to enhanced game experience...
- 2.4 ghz wireless connectivity
- Customizable controls with profiler software (requires software installation)
- Dual vibration motors support vibration feedback games
- 【Wide Compatibility】Wireless gaming controller supports PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10), PS3, Steam, Android (version 4.0 or above, the device must fully support OTG...
- 【2.4G Wireless Transmission】2.4G Wireless Transmission Technology (with USB receiver) ensures a stable connection without any delay, and offers a range up to 10...
- 【Improved design】The new left and right shoulder button design is easy to use, 12 function keys, Support 2 handles at the same time (requires game support)
Last update on 2021-02-07. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.