Jump Start A Car Tips And Steps
It would come as quite a shock if you start your car and the ignition just won’t work. At this time if you have some knowledge on how to jump start your car with step-by-step guide, it would come as good news. If you can safely use jumper cables on your vehicle, make sure that the battery on the other vehicle has at least as much voltage as your own. As long as you hook up the cables properly, it doesn’t matter whether your vehicle has negative ground and the other vehicle has positive ground, or your vehicle has an alternator and the good vehicle has a generator.
The jumper cables may be damaging if either of the vehicles has an electronic ignition system.
Below are given some steps that should be followed to safely jump start
- You should buy a set of jumper cables and put them in your trunk compartment.
- Both the vehicles should be in the Park or Neutral and the ignition of the cars should be turned off.
Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery.
It has “POS” or “+” on it, or it’s bigger than the negative terminal.
- Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other car.
- Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal on the other battery
Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t near the battery.
Use one of the metal struts that holds the hood open.
7. Start the working vehicle and let the engine run for a few minutes.
8. Try to start your vehicle.
If it won’t start, make sure that the cables are properly connected and have the good Samaritan run his or her engine for five minutes. Then try to start your car again. If it still won’t start, your battery may be beyond help.If the jump works and your car starts, don’t shut off your engine! Drive around for at least 15 minutes to recharge your battery. If the car won’t start the next time you use it, the battery isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.