The experts have analyzed the performance of air cleaners if they can really purify air to keep our homes hygienic and capture germs, dust and mold etc or just come up with marketing ploys to trap consumers. There are hundreds of air cleaners available on the market which claim to clean smoke, dust, bacteria and air impurities but how far they succeed to achieve their goals remains a myth unless we dig deep and find out.
We cannot analyze each air purifier on our own. Having an expert onboard is the mythbreaker. This little research on ‘Do Air cleaners really work’ is undertaken under the auspicious opinions of experts who work to check on the quality of such appliances. As the contaminated air gets trapped in homes even more than outside. It happens especially in those areas where pollution is rampant. So ensuring cleanliness and fresh air is the primary need.
You need not to worry about being exposed to pollution outside your home says Ryan Roten D.O. a doctor at Redlands Community Hospital California. “If the smoke is dense enough, you might have some headaches due to carbon dioxide, and those with issues like asthma or COPD will have it worse in the moment.” says Dr. Doten.
It’s a fact that these portable air purifiers are capable of neutralizing air inside the houses. But all purifiers do not live up to the hype. So before choosing one, you must consider many things to get the right air purifier and ask yourself does this air purifier actually work?
How Actually An Air Cleaner Works To Ensure Hygiene?
“‘A single filter or many filters are used in an air cleaner to suck in and circulate air. The filters trap impurities and molds and they are pushed in clean air back in the house. Such filters are made of paper, fiberglass or mesh and need timely replacement to keep working. “”
It means you should calculate the purchasing prices and replacements. The operational costs amount to $50 per annum while with the filter replacement the cost can rise up to $100 annually.
The quality and condition of the filters depend upon the type and its use. There are filters which require maintenance, replacement but there are others which you can reuse after washing. The reusable filters are efficient and remove large particles from the air. Not only that, some Ultraviolet light based filters can remove impurities and bacteria.
The other filters have ionizers to pull in particles and static-negative ions bond to remove allergens. There is a darkside to it. If you are buying an ionizer which works on ozone gas which contains three oxygen atoms may not be suitable for your lungs for a long time. Though it breaks down pollutants, your constant exposure to it may result in lung issues. The manufacturer puts it on the packaging and description.
Do air cleaners ACTUALLY work and what do they clean out?
Many air cleaners available on the market can trap-in dust and pollen but fail to capture VOCs which are far more dangerous. You will need an adsorbent for that. The Environmental Protection Agency keeps informing masses about limits of air cleaners, their merits and demerits in order to keep air inside our homes that we breathe clean and hygienic.
In fact, most of the air filters are good at filtering particles such as dust, smoke and pollen but fail at VOCs which gather from paints and other pollutants. Those allergens which get attached to furniture or flooring also get trapped.
Air purifiers are tested in a controlled laboratory. Their location, flow rate and durability depends mainly on the space. There are many other features which affect them as well. For example opened or closed windows are means to ventilation. The air purifier will perform differently in each case.
Can Air Purifier Purify Outdoor Air?
VOCs and other pollutants generally originate outside our homes. Burning of different materials produce clouds of smoke which affect bystanders. The inhalation may increase cyanide toxicity in them. There are many incidents where people are brought to hospitals being bystanders.
On the other hand, there are purifiers which can cleanse any air and address environmental air in the locality. The experts suggest HEPA filter-equipped air purifiers for purifying smoke coming from wildfire.
How Good Is A HEPA Filter?
HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air. The mechanism of HEPA filters works better. It traps particles of different sizes within a layered net made with fiberglass even thinner than a hair. Its filter is kept airtight made of dense sheet containing tiny fibers sealed in a metallic frame. The purifier sucks in air into the filter while the bigger particles are trapped by impaction; the medium-sized ones touch the fiber and get trapped by interception. While the thinnest particles are trapped by diffusion.
What To Look For In An Air Purifier?
Before buying an air purifier consider following features as the primary conditions.
- CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) – It calculates the air cleaning speed to remove smoke, dust and other impurities. A CADR of 300-350 is really great.
- Size: For proper efficiency a sophisticated model designed to work for different sizes is preferable. One must select a model which is designed for a larger room area even if your fitting area is half the size of it.
- AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers): AHAM products are designed on the model of efficiency, safety and performance of home appliances. These products are designed to facilitate consumers and make a common ground between the consumer and the manufacturer. Although it’s a voluntary process but has become a certification hallmark that defines the standards of these purifiers with CADR rating.
- The Right HEPA Air Purifier: The right HEPA fIlters can truly remove dust, dander, pollen and molds from your rooms where you place them. They are designed to remove 99.97% of air impurities to a 0.3 micron diameter in the laboratories but in real life where particulates keep emerging they perform less. There are no such standards as HEPA-A or any other similar models. They are just marketing slogans that sellers use to attract consumers.
Check out some of the reliable Air Purifiers available at Amazon.
#1 Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier 2.0 for Extra-Large Rooms
The sellers claim that it comes with a true HEPA filter with H13 Medical Grade a superior true HEPA purifier that cleans air 99% to 0.1 micros. This 5-in-1 air purifier traps bacteria, molds, dust and other impurities.
It covers a large area of around 1500 sq ft every hour. The smart particle sensor system monitors the area and captures unwanted particles. The auto-mode lets you breathe fresh air and prevents asthma.
#2 TaoTronics HEPA Air Purifier for Home
TaoTronics HEPA Air Purifier for home captures allergens, smoke, pollen and pets hair. It comes with true HEPA filters and has sleep mode and night mode as well. TaoTronics has a 3-stage advanced air purification system. It has HEPA purifier with pre-built filter and active carbon filter to clean air 99%.
It operates quietly and is safe for pets and kids.
#3 Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
Winix 5500 comes with a true HEPA filter with plasmawave and washable AOC carbon filter. It traps 99% of air pollutants and dust mites. Plasmawave works to prevent odor, allergens and other disinfectant vapors.
#4 Germ Guardian – True HEPA Filter Air Purifier with UV Light Sanitizer
GermGuardian a 4-in-1 air purifier that claims to reduce germs up to 99%; comes with a true HEPA filter, UV light sanitizer that removes germs, filter allergies, pollens and dust particulates.
It has 3 settings and the light mode works on quiet mode that ensures sound sleep. It reduces odor and purifies air.
#5 Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier
This pure hot air purifier from Dyson is rated high among the top air cleaners. It comes with different modes and is kid friendly. You can connect it with a wifi network. It has a HEPA air filter, heater and provides comfort to Ashtma patients.
#6 Coway Airmega 400 – The Smart Air Purifier
Coway Air Purifiers are very popular among consumers. This Coway Airmega 400 air purifier covers a large area to ensure cleanliness. It comes with a cord and captures the impure air and dust. The smart purifying system works fine for adults, kids and pets. Airmega 400 is one of the air purifier models which have received best customer reviews.
#7 Austin Air HealthMate
Austin Air Healthmate purifier is a standard product. It can capture 99% of particulates to 0.3 microns. It has true HEPA Medical Grade filter controls germs, dusts, molds and mites in 4 stages. It has 3 speed settings with its 4 stages to draw air into different segments of room.
Are there any other ways to purify air quality in homes?
The cheapest free source of removing dust and air impurities from your home is to keep it properly ventilated. If you are looking for purifying your home without using a purification system we recommend a few basic rule of thumb ideas.
- Ventilation: Keep rooms properly ventilated and avoid trapping smoke and mold inside rooms when you have no air purifier installed or even if it’s turned off. Cross ventilation is necessary which allows air to enter from one side and exit from the other window.
- Changing Air Purifying Filters: For proper maintenance of your homes opt for HEPA-certified filters for your homes. They are effective and recirculate air in your home on a greater level.
- Using Exhaust Fans: You should use an exhaust fan for your kitchens. Turn it on before starting any fire or an oven.
- Candles: Use candles and wood fire, which will ban smoke and reduce the chances of pollution.
- Using a vacuum cleaner: Always go for HEPA-certified home appliances. Even if that’s a vacuum cleaner. They are much better at cleaning your homes. The Miele U1 Maverick SHAEo is a highly recommended vacuum cleaner for your homes.
Miele Dynamic U1 Maverick, Obsidian Black
It has a high quality sealed cleaning system. Comes with a swivel neck which comes with a 1200 watts suction system. It has a 39 feet cord for fine cleaning of carpets. It’s recommended by the experts as a nice, fine and useful appliance to keep homes neat and clean.