People love pets like dogs, but they lack time to care for them. Pet owners are, therefore, always looking for someone to take them out for a walk for health reasons. The situation presents a perfect opportunity for you to start a dog walking business – so, whether you are working on your college business papers or actually consider starting a business – read on to find out more.
While walking is easy, starting the business will not be as straightforward as many may think. You will be getting into a regulated world where you also have client needs to meet. The rules should not scare you either. Here are the steps to follow and tips to help you start a dog walking business.
- Learn About Dogs
A dog walker must know how to handle the pets. Each breed is unique and interacts with people differently. For instance, some breeds love attention and will enjoy cuddling while others are playful. The dogs have nutritional needs that will affect their health. If you do not understand the dogs, it will be challenging to interact with them when walking.
Train as a dog handler to understand their temperaments, exercise needs, and how best to give them the best walking experience. Walking the dogs also come with health concerns. How far should you go and what activities should you engage the dogs in when walking? Inadequate knowledge about dogs will affect how well you meet your client expectations.
- Know The Rules That Apply In Your Target Area Of Operation
Authorities regulate the handling of pets in their jurisdictions. The regulations indicate the places you can walk the dogs, immunization requirements, vaccinations, and penalties in case you break the rules. You must understand these rules to avoid violations that would attract penalties.
Dog walking will also be operating as a business. Each area has regulations on how to handle animal-related businesses. Inquire about these regulations and ensure that you meet them before starting your business. Failure to follow the rules will affect the prospects of running the business profitably.
- Build Trust With Dog Owners
Pets are dear to their owners such that they cannot entrust them on every walker who turns up at the door. The owners require a guarantee that their pets will be in safe hands. How do you build confidence in your clients?
- Display knowledge about dogs and their need for exercises. Pet owners know about the dogs they keep. They will always test your knowledge about dogs before releasing the dogs to you. Learn as much about different breeds to inspire confidence that you can handle their dogs.
- Collect all necessary licenses- licenses show that you have the authority to handle dogs. It also indicates your seriousness to run the business. The dog owners are also sure that their pets are in safe hands.
- Assist them with more information about dogs- start a blog, run a clinic, and such other activities that inspire confidence in pet owners.
- Set The Charges For Your Services
Provide a reasonable quotation for dog walking. You have to consider factors like walking time, walking distance, and any other care provided to the dog during walking. Negotiate the charges so that the owners will be ready to release their pets.
- Adjust Your Schedule To Fit The Needs Of Your Business
The dogs might be too many to be walked at the same time. Collection time will also depend on the convenience of each owner. You, therefore, have to adjust your schedule to meet the needs of different pet owners.
The profitability of a dog walking business depends on how well you meet their expectations. You must first inspire confidence in them to compel these owners to release their dogs. Offer a bigger package that solves most of their dog problems, and your business will grow.